Friday, January 12, 2007

Back to basics...

We bought two of the Covent Garden soup books the other day. They are all for doing everything properly and from scratch, including making your own stock, so we thought we'd give it a go. We picked two soups based on vegetable stock and today I have spent the morning making our very own stock! I can honestly say it's the first time I have tried that. It took a few hours but we got quite a bit of stock from it and you can freeze it, so we have some for other soups too.

(making vegetable stock)

Tonight we're going to try fresh salmon and dill soup with potatoes and white wine and later in the week we're going to make chicken soup with lemon and tarragon. At least they sound very nice. Let's hope it will be worth all the effort. Then we might even venture into making our own chicken or beef stock. But that's for another week...

Thanks to Peechy, Dale Anne and Chris for the comments yesterday. Dale Anne: I will definitely have a look at that book you mentioned and I do appreciate any suggestions from anyone regarding good books to check out (so please post more if you now of any - thanks!)

Before I go for today, here's the next page in my Christmas journal. We're now up to New Year's Eve. Since NYE is pretty similar every year for us I didn't have that much journaling to do for this page, but I still enjoyed making it and documenting it a bit...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First time i've been able to comment on your blog but i just wanted to say i have thoroughly enjoyed each and every one of your pages! And yes, you have motivated me to carry on with mine, so thank you :)

Anonymous said...

Another cracking page Anso and that soup pot looks devine! I hope it tastes as good as it looks.