Tuesday, October 02, 2007

"Having Fun" layout class (inc making your own transparent embellishments)...

Please feel free to use these instructions to make your own layout. You are free to link to this page from any forum etc if you wish. Please do NOT copy this information and/or photos to use for your own classes/forums/webpages without permission.

This is a quick and simple class which I designed for A Trip Down Memory Lane and at the time of writing this they stock all the supplies you need to make this layout.

Supplies needed:
Autumn Leaves/Rhonna Farrer – Le Fleur paper
Autumn Leaves/Rhonna Farrer – C’est Deco paper
Autumn Leaves/Rhonna Farrer – French Twist Rub-Ons
Autumn Leaves/Rhonna Farrer – French Twist chipboard journaling block
Love Elsie – Roxie – Big Ribbon pack
Black journaling pen (I use American Crafts “Slick Writer”)

Also needed:
2 white and 1 blue button
Black inkpad (Colorbox chalk ink is great in “Charcoal”)
Herma (or scrapping glue of your choice)
Stapler
Staz’On or other permanent inkpad
One sheet of transparency (the ones you’d use for your printer works great)
Stamps of your choice (I used: Autumn Leaves “Elegant Flourishes”)

Start by cutting your “Le Fleur” paper to size. I scrap in true A4 size, so I cut mine to 29,7x21 centimetres (cm). Make sure you turn the paper in whatever direction you want. I choose to turn it so I had the little swirly “box” on the bottom left hand side. You can of course adapt the class to another format if you like.

Cut a piece from the “C’est Deco” paper that measures approx 17 (width) by 19 (height) centimetres. Also pick your photo. I’m using a 15x10 cm (6x4) landscape photo.

Chalk the edges of the pink paper lightly with your charcoal inkpad. Attach to the top left corner of your background (=the blue/green paper). Put your photo in place, level with the left side of your layout. Mine’s 4,5 cm from the top edge.

Pick a chipboard journaling block, write your journaling and place in the white swirly box on your layout. Cut a length each of the star ribbon (approx 19,5 cm) and the flower ribbon (18,5 cm) and glue in place below your photo.

Choose some rub-ons to suit your layout and photo. I went for a pink swirly one along the right side of my photo. A black flourishes one above my journaling block and finally the title “Having Fun” on the right side of my layout.

Now it’s time to have some fun! We’re going to create our very own transparency embellishments. So bring out your transparency sheet and a permanent inkpad (I use a black Staz’On). Choose some pattern stamps that you like and stamp all over your piece of transparency, avoiding too many blank gaps.


Next take a permanent pen (Slick Writers are great for this) and draw some shapes across your stamped images. It might be a little hard to make out on the photo below but I have drawn some stars (which I will use for this layout) and hearts.

Cut out your shapes (I like to cut just outside the drawn lines) and you have your very own transparency shapes. Cool, eh?

Now finish off your layout by picking some of your newly made embellishments & staple in place and then add your buttons at the top of your photo.

I hope you enjoyed my class! Wishing you lots of fun creating your own version!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the clever shapes you have made Anso.
I will have to try them . . . . . .

Unknown said...

don't know what happened there, but it was MargaretForster that said that . . . . . .

Anonymous said...

Love this one Anso! But now I feel compelled to purchase those stamps! I have other AL swirls and such, but the ones you used really look beautiful!

Jennifer

Peechy said...

how fab is that?? thanks for sharing hun, love the embellies xxx

Estivalia said...

thanks for the tutorial, will definetely be using it!! :)

Estivalia
http://paper-leisure.livejournal.com

asia wu said...

Wonderful layout, great combination of colours :) Thank you for this class :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! Its always fun to peek into someones creative time!

CarolineO said...

Beautiful Lo and the swirl stamp is great!

Karen said...

OHHHH MY! I love these! I will definitely be trying them out. My problems is that I never know what type of transparencies to use. I've looked at them in the office supply store but I'm just plain confused. Also, it seems like you can only purchase them in HUGE quantities. Any suggestions?

Karen said...

OOHHHH MY I LOVE this! I definitely want to try this out. My only problem is that I never know what type of transparencies to use. I've looked at the office supply store and I'm just plain confused. Any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

Hi! I made my own tranparent embellies and they turned out great! Thanks for the instructions.

Kara said...

oh this is so clever thanks for sharing
kara
x

Muttshouse said...

Sooo coool! If I can figure out how to get my cricut to cut this out, it'll be really great.

Do you have any suggestions about glues that won't show through?