Monday, December 03, 2007

Such a nice Christmassy weekend...

We had such a nice Christmassy weekend :) Like just the best!

On Friday when Ross came home we spent ages putting up the Christmas decorations, tree etc and then we watched a Christmas film. Sitting down just enjoying the Christmas feelings. :)

On Saturday we went to IKEA to get gingerbread cookie dough (sorry Elizabeth you asked for the recipe for the dough, we "cheated"!) and spent the afternoon baking cookies together (that's a very Swedish Christmas tradition) followed by yet another Christmas film.

On Sunday we sat down in the kitchen and made our Christmas cards together. Yes ---> WE! Sooo cosy! Some of you might remember that I persuaded Ross to join me last year too. We watched "Elf" on TV and then went for a cosy walk (admittedly in the rain with a big umbrella - but that only made it more cosy) in the dark looking at people's lights & trees.

Then we finished the evening with a Swedish advent tradition which is done on the four nearest Sundays to Christmas: lighting a candle in a special four candle holder (for each Sunday you light one more, so first Sunday you light candle no 1, second Sunday you light 1 and 2 etc) eating gingerbread cookies and drinking glögg (special Christmas drink). I'm sooo happy after such a cosy, cosy weekend. You can see a picture here (even if the text is in Swedish) - the top picture is of the candleholder with real candles which you light each Sunday for the four Sundays before Christmas. The second one is showing an electrical advent candle holder - these you put up in your windows on the 1st of December and take down on the 13th of January.

8 comments:

Nancyroo said...

your cards are amazing!

emhowl said...

Ahah! Enjoy your cookies! I love your cards. I wonder how many British people with the electric candles know about keeping them out till 13th January. I've never noticed any but I'll look particularly now. We have no surfaces where candles would be safe so I like reading about your tradition, but last night 7 tea light candles were lit at church while I did a reading. And Blue Peter always had an Advent Crown.

Kos med papir og saks said...

lovely cards. love them

imanewbierunner said...

the cards are so beautiful. love the christmas journal too.

Dawn Lindstrom said...

Even though I am American, both DH and I are of swedish decent. My children also choose St. Lucia for their Christmas projects and we have a Scandavian gift shop a few towns over, to get all of the special treats.

We also have friends who each year make homemade glogg and give to us as a gift. Love your pages!!

Anonymous said...

Your Christmas cards are simply beautiful. I love that you and your husband worked on them together.

Latharia said...

Great cards! I co-opted my sweetie to do cards with me the year we were married ... he had a whole new appreciation for the papercrafting I do!

Kara said...

oh your cards are lovely, how good is your hubby ro help, what a beautiful christmasy weekend, Iam super jealous
Kara
x