Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A Review...

Sometimes when I see BPS classes that I'm interested in, I'm searching the internet to see if anyone who's taken the class previously has written any opinions on it. Occasionally I find a little sentence here or there, but usually not very much. So I have decided to take the time to write a little review of the recent class I took. It's by Darci Dowdle and it's called "A Bakers Dozen".

It's a 4 week class and today is the last day. So the perfect time for me to summarize my thoughts on it...

Firstly the price. Now I can't remember exactly what I paid for this class but I'm pretty sure it was not mega expensive. So a good price for 4 weeks.

The concept I like. Something I'm not really used to... working with the "unknown". Gathering supplies beforehand (not knowing why or what they will go together with). This was a challenge for me LOL! It felt hard (easier just to wait and see what was needed later) but I stuck with it. Probably a very good challenge for me. But still definitely not "me" :)

Over the 4 weeks we did 13 layouts (some of these double LOs). There were also a few extra projects mentioned throughout (though not with any prompts/special instructions).

Now there's one thing that really let the class down for me. And I have thought a lot about how to write this... I still don't know. I don't want it to come across as a nasty comment. But at the same time you're taking a class and you're expecting a certain type of "standard". And if this is going to be a fair review I really need to mention this as it was something that honestly disappointed me a lot straight from the first day of the class...

I know we all scrap differently and we all have different styles. Some like the clean & simple look others a more "messy" look or a very embellished look etc. There are so many styles and I think that's great :) Even if I only lean towards certain "styles" or "techniques" myself, I love to see ALL styles. Anyway, I'm going slightly off topic here. I just wanted to explain that this is not a "style" issue as such. But to be really honest here, I was disappointed in the teacher. Not the way she teached but the layout examples. You pay to take a class by a *teacher* and then you expect a certain... I don't know? "Skill level"? "Standard"? It wasn't really layouts that were teacher material (a cynic might even start to think about the BPS family connection here). It feels harsh & mean to say this and I have taken many, many classes and NEVER felt this way before. This was a big let down for me so I feel like I have to be honest about this...

Conclusion: Am I glad I took this class? Yes and no. I'm glad I faced the challenge of working with collections of supplies I had no idea beforehand would be paired up. I'm glad I have 13 new layouts in my albums. Would I take it again? No probably not... I would love to be inspired by the layouts in the handouts rather than feeling pressure thinking how can I change this into something I love for my album (and don't get me wrong, I have nothing against doing your own thing and I mostly do, it would just be nice to be inspired by what's presented).

Hope this, very honest, review is of help to some of you :)

10 comments:

Cate Brickell said...

It's a shame you didn't feel inspired by the teacher (the family connection was the first thing that popped into my mind - and that she had a baby a day or two before class started, but they have everything ready to go weeks in advance, so that's not really an excuse, is it?!)

There's usually a lot of posts on two peas asking opinions about classes, especially if they're repeat classes, but you're review is a good idea... I might start doing the same, if I ever actually finish anything!

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with your review of the class. I took it and still haven't finished all the layouts. I scrap 12x12 so I really should have printed larger photos in some cases. The sketches were so plain that my photos just look like they have been placed on the pages without a purpose.

I am trying to keep the "spirit" of the instructions, I have to add more patterned paper so that pages aren't so plain.

I still have 6 pages to go as I struggle to change the sketches for 12x12.

Anonymous said...

Sorry - I forgot to leave my name.

It is Jane from Ottawa, Canada

슬롯사이트 said...

I am just amazed. I hope that you continue to do your work like this in the future also.

gostopsite.com said...

These are actually impressive ideas in concerning blogging.

sportstotomen.com said...

Much appreciated. All of your blog was amazing. I am really a fan of yours

19guide03.com said...

Thank you and best of luck.

slotplayground.com said...

You have a very good gloss. Thank you!

edwardsrailcar.com said...

Thanks for sharing this information.

cmriindia.org said...

Thanks for the post and effort!